Friday, August 18, 2006

5 am. Leaving at 6

I know that in fifteen minutes an alarm clock will sound downstairs. I won't hear it, nonetheless its flesh repercussions will come up the stairs, mindful at first of their steps on slowly warping wood but gradually forgetting the care until they clatter into my room. Or at least, if the sonic disturbances had chosen me as their medium, that’s how I'd proceed to wake the traveller and his house.

I am the traveller, waiting to be woken, having been unable to sleep. Any barren patch of paper has been irrigated with ink, its furrows sprouting the words for disconnected items which combined make the harvest of everything I'm taking.

Its not my usual style but I've got lists within lists.

I know not only what I'm taking, but also where it is. Pens: outside pocket. Thermal underwear : main compartment but inside a white plastic bag. Water purification tablets : wrapped around their instructions for use in the mesh section of the toiletries bag in the on flight luggage.

I've also discovered what I don’t have. 5 pairs of underwear folded and ready : zip up pocket on the side of the rucksack which I delivered to Oscar 12 hours ago.

2 comments:

FLEUR said...

When you return from your travels, there will be nice clean underwear wating for you at Oscar's.

FLEUR said...

When you did return, Oscar reported that you were smelly, so oh what joy to find clean underwear waiting for you!